Three Paintings of Rhea on Canvas
When I started Unit 7, I had in mind ideas I wanted to develop to achieve the work for the end of year show. What I have ended up in doing is not actually what I had originally planned. This just shows you can’t plan everything and it is best to just develop ideas as you go along.
My Fine Art tutor Richard along with my other tutors were always very impressed with my paintings of Rhea.
I think the composition of Rhea in the paintings is what is most appealing about them. They are unconventional this is what I wanted to achieve when I did them. It is all about the body and the positioning. So it was not important to see Rhea’s face and I think it makes them more interesting that you actually can’t see her face.
I did have to tidy up the paintings slightly before they were ready for hanging in the studio. Small areas of the background just needed editing as it looked a little bit untidy. The outsides of the canvas which would be seen when hung needed covering too. Initially I wanted to paint them black. I thought this would make the stand out more as the colours on the canvas’ are very light. Both Sally and Richard advised me to paint them white as it is a cleaner more professional finish. Also, because everything is hung on white walls it would also compliment the canvas’ to have a white edge. This made a lot of sense and the white did look more effective.
When I started the paintings of Rhea I had never planned for them to be displayed as part of the end of year show. So when it was decided that they would go in the exhibit I was really pleased.
Three Linear Drawings
When I had completed my paintings of Rhea I started to imagine what I could do to compliment them more.
I had done a lot of painting and was keen to do some sketches and drawing. One of my tutors Steve was able to get me some really good quality paper called ‘Fabriano’
It is really think paper and ideal for what I wanted to achieve.
I had decided to do some linear drawings of Rhea as a contrast to the paintings I had done. I also really wanted to do one of Yvette too as I was disappointed with the sketch of her I had done so wanted to try a different approach.
I was so happy with the work when I had completed the drawings.
I got great, positive feedback from my tutors about them and was so pleased when I was able to include them in my collection of work in the exhibit.
Large Oil Painting of Yvette
When I started my oil painting of Yvette I had planned to do three of her all together. I had pictured it in my head of how I wanted them to look and I was fully prepared to have three large oil paintings complete in time for the end of term. I anticipated each one would take about a week each which would take me up to half term.
I was really disappointed at first when I realised that it just wasn’t going to happen. I think because I was not familiar with oil paint the painting took so much longer. I was quite frustrated at one point because in my mind I had planned to produce more work. So in a way I felt like I wasn’t achieving what I originally thought I could. So to me this was a big disappointment.
When I was in to the second week and still doing my first canvas of Yvette I knew there was not enough time to complete three. This was down to my job outside of college which only allowed me to come in to college three days instead of five and also because of the oil paints which were more challenging than I had thought they would be.
I spoke to Richard about my concerns and he assured me that doing one quality painting is so much better than rushing trying to get more done.
I did feel better after speaking to Richard and accepted that realistically I would only be doing one large oil painting for my FMP work.
In all it took me 9 colleges days to complete the painting.
I am really pleased with how it looks and feel like I really did put a lot of effort in to it.
My tutors advised me, even though this was a good piece of work, it didn’t quite fit with my three paintings of Rhea and the linear drawings.
I completely agreed and knew exactly where my tutors were coming from. I understood that the exhibit had to look as impactful and impressive as possible.
I was really keen to keep my painting of Yvette in the exhibit because I felt that the work and time which I put in was important and this would show this by it being displayed. I was more than happy for it to be hung away from the other pieces of my work which was being displayed elsewhere. And I was really relieved and grateful that I was able to keep it in the end of year show.